COVID-19 Update - Country moves to Alert Level 2
12 August 2020
At 12pm today Wellington will be entering into Alert Level 2. Last night the Prime Minister announced four cases of COVID-19 have been detected in the community in Auckland. As a result, Auckland moved immediately to Alert Level 3 and the rest of the country will move to Alert Level 2 at 12pm, Wednesday 12 August.
These levels will be in place until midnight Friday 14th August when the Government will reassess.
As we are asked again to rally together as a country, it’s important we remember the actions that enabled us to respond quickly and effectively in the past. This includes:
- increased hygiene practices,
- staying home if you are unwell,
- practicing social distancing,
- following the guidelines from the Government and Ministry of Health.
At Alert Level 2, gatherings are are limited to 100 people.
If you haven’t already done so, it is recommended that you download and use the contact tracing app: https://covid19.govt.nz/health-and-wellbeing/stay-healthy/keep-track-of-where-youve-been/
Sport NZ will release specific info later today about what this means for physical activity once they’ve liaised with government officials. Currently you can see what Alert Level 2 means for the sport and active recreation sector on Sport NZ’s website, but please watch this space. We will communicate any updates to these as necessary.
What does this mean for Sport Wellington and our offices?
- Sport Wellington and Sport Wellington Wairarapa offices will remain open
- We will move to social distancing rules and encourage meetings with externals to be held virtually when possible
- External meetings booked at the Sport Wellington/Sport Wellington Wairarapa offices will be contacted and told meeting rooms are now unavailable to limit contact tracing
- All visitors will be expected to use the sign in kiosk/sheet for contract tracing purposes
- Green Prescription community group programmes will be postponed or delivered via online platforms
Return to Play Fund reopens
In response to these latest developments, we are re-opening the Sport Wellington 'Return to Play' fund . The fund will operate on a first-in, first-served basis until the funds are fully distributed. If successful, applicants can expect to receive payment (reimbursement) within 21 days of their application being submitted.
The fund is available to community sport, active recreation, health and physical activity providers. There are no affiliation requirements.
Stay safe, be kind and keep active, within the guidelines for Alert Level 2. We will continue to update our social media as soon as new information comes available.