Athlete Development Scholarships
As part of Sport Wellington Performance Hub's athlete development, we offer scholarships for athletes to join our Reaching for the Podium programme, a holistic and collaborative approach that is built on the foundation principles of character development, wellbeing, and sporting performance.
The programme aims to condition athletes so that they are capable of realising their true potential. It is highly individualized to reflect the age, stage and sport of each athlete.
Applications to the Reaching for the Podium programme are open to athletes in the Greater Wellington Region across all sporting codes.
The application consists of three parts:
- Expression of Interest form
- One-on-one interview
- Athlete performance review
The programme’s goal is to provide a platform from which athletes build knowledge and skills to better prepare them for optimal performance. To ensure this is achieved, high quality delivery of the programme is essential.
The key components of the Reaching for the Podium programme include:
Athletes in the programme can expect the following:
- Comprehensive medical screening - ECG, Movement competency, Blood testing, Musculoskeletal, physical exam.
- Performance Nutrition workshop
- Performance Psychology workshop
- Athlete Life - 3 consultations per year
- Media Skills - 1 workshop per year
- Drugs in sport - 1 workshop per year
- Strength and Conditioning - Access to ASB HPSNZ Gym and Les Mills gym
- Individual Performance Plan (IPP) - to be led by Sport Wellington Performance Hub advisors in collaboration with athletes and coaches.
What does a better prepared athlete look like?
Self Responsible: Doing what you said you would do, accountable for yourself and your actions.
Self-aware: Athletes know themselves, their traits, feelings, behaviours and can be self regulating.
Hard-working: Unwavering work ethic, does what needs to be done, consistently.
Lifelong Learners: Continually looking for improvement, have a growth mind-set and are coach-able.
Performance mindset: Mentally strong, covers resilience, grit and performance and moral character.