"The Wellington region has a coaching system that effectivley provides for coaching, that values the needs of athletes and participants"
Sport Wellington works alongside a number of National and Regional Sport Organisations across the Wellington Region to support the delivery of their coach development opportunities.
Sport Wellington Coach Developer Programme
“Coach Developers are not simply experienced coaches or transmitters of coaching knowledge. They are trained to develop, support and challenge coaches to go on honing and improving their knowledge and skills to provide positive and effective sport experiences for all participants” – International Council for Coaching Excellence.
In alignment with Sport NZ and NSO Coach Developer Programmes, Sport Wellington takes a regional leadership role in facilitating learning opportunities for Coach Developers, Trainers and RSOs in the greater Wellington region.
Educating and supporting those that work with coaches (Coach Developers) will, in turn, develop better coaches who will improve the participant experience.
Sport Wellington's Coach Developer Programme adds value to RSO and NSO programmes and includes training for Coach Developers and Coach Developer Trainers. In 2019, we will work with RSOs to deliver;
- Two 2-day coach developer training in March and August
- Four extension workshops targeting specific skills or settings that coach developers operate in.
Coach Developers wishing to take part in the programme should contact their RSO for more information.
Sport Injury Treatment & Referral Information
Preventing injuries is a key part of player safety and encouraging enjoyment of the sport. The following documents have some tips for preventing injuries during practices and games.
Below is a list of RSO Coach Development contacts for the greater Wellington region:
- Athletics Wellington - Karin Burger www.athleticswellington.org.nz
- Capital Football - Steeve Sharpe www.capitalfootball.org.nz
- Capital Zone Basketball - Scott Richardson www.capitalbasketball.org/about
- Cricket Wellington - Christie vanDyk www.cricketwellington.co.nz
- GymSports - Megan Preston www.gymsportsnz.com
- Netball Central Zone - Tash Rowlands www.netballcentral.co.nz
- Swimming Wellington - TBC www.swimwn.co.nz
- Tennis Central - TBC www.tenniscentral.co.nz
- Wairarapa Cricket - Simon Roseingrave www.wairarapacricket.co.nz
- Wellington Hockey - Cat Goodings www.wellingtonhockey.org.nz
- Wellington Rugby Football Union - Mila Poutoa www.wrfu.co.nz
- Wellington Rugby League - David Faiumu www.wrl.org.nz
- Yachting NZ - Regional Support Officer - Wayne Holdt www.yachtingnz.org.nz