Supporting and Developing Student Coaches
Sport Wellington works closely with College Sport Wellington and a number of Regional Sports Organisations to deliver the Student Coaching Programme. Over the past 4 years, we have worked with over 30 different colleges and developed over 1,000 student coaches. The programme aims to;
- Increase the confidence and competence of secondary school student coaches
- Enable colleges and Regional Sports Organisations to provide ongoing support to student coaches
- Ensure more children and young people are staying in organised sport due to quality coaching and coaches providing a positive sporting experience.
Summer sports that will be covered in the February workshops are Volleyball, Touch, Futsal and Floorball. In May the winter sports will be covered: Netball, Basketball, Hockey, Football, Rugby, and other sports if there is demand for them.
In 2019, Student Coaching days will be delivered on the following days:
- Summer codes – 18 February at ASB Sports Centre, Wellington and 19 February at Te Rauparaha Arena, Porirua
- Winter codes – 8th, 13th, 14, 17th & 21st May in the Wairarapa, Porirua, Wellington, Otaki and the Hutt Valley.
Some in-school workshops are taking place in the Wellington region, so students can participate at their own school: Chilton St James, Newlands College, Onslow College, Queen Margaret College, St Pats Silverstream, St Catherines College, St Marys College, Wellington Girls College, Upper Hutt College and Heretaunga College.
If you want to get involved, talk to the Sports Coordinator at your school or email Tim Mannix, Sport Wellington on firstname.lastname@example.org to register your interest or for more information.