More kids, more opportunities, more skills
KiwiSport is a government funding initiative administered by Sport Wellington to increase participation in sport for school-aged children. The Wellington KiwiSport Regional Partnership Fund Plan 2015-18 outlines how KiwiSport funding will be allocated and distributed across the greater Wellington region (Wellington, Porirua, Hutt Valley, Kapiti Coast and Wairarapa). Sport Wellington is responsible for the distribution of approximately $2.6 million over the next three years.
KiwiSport aims to:
- Increase the number of school-aged children participating in organised sport
- Increase the availability and accessibility of sport opportunities for all school-aged children
- Support children in developing skills that will enable them to participate effectively in sport
Considerations for Funding Applications:
From 2018 onwards, some changes to the KiwiSport Regional Partnership Fund priorities have occurred. To see “more kids, more opportunities, more skills” occurring in our communities most effectively, applications that have a focus on the following will be prioritised:
- Programmes / approaches that engage and support young people in low-participating communities to ensure they receive appropriate physical activity or sporting opportunities. The following groups have been determined to have lower rates of engagement in sport:
- Girls aged between 10 and 18 years
- Low decile communities
- KiwiSport funding for in-curriculum initiatives will be minimal over 2017/18. The School Sport Futures project (Sport NZ) identified an issue with sport-based programmes replacing quality physical education, particularly in primary schools, and therefore Sport NZ has recommended this reduction.
If you have a large project that spans regionally, provides new, or expands existing, sporting opportunities for school-aged children that requires funding, then we would encourage you to send in your EOI application. KiwiSport funding is not intended to maintain the same initiative long term as funding is only confirmed until June 2019.
KiwiSport Funding Requirements for all applications
KiwiSport Funding Considerations for all applications
KiwiSport Open Fund - Key Dates
Wednesday 14 November Funding Round Closes
Monday 3 December Applications assessed by Assessment Panel and recommendations put forward to the Board
Thursday 13 December Sport Wellington Board Meeting
Thursday 20 December Applicants notified of outcomes
KiwiSport Targeted Fund
Applications are now closed